Polis² (Polis squared) is a City of Athens pilot programme addressed to all active citizens of Athens. It is powered by “This is Athens” and executed by Athens Development and Destination Management Agency (ADDMA) whose core mission is to create and showcase city’s identity.
Polis² introduces two projects:
The project “INTERVENTIONS IN THE CITY” that offers financial and technical support to residents to implement their proposals for mild and small-scale interventions in the city.
The project “SHOP IN THE CENTRE” that aims to utilise abandoned shops located in the centre of Athens in order to revive deprived neighborhoods.
Polis² invites the citizens and professionals who live in Athens to co-create the city’s identity by implementing their own ideas and proposals that would make the public space more functional and attractive or to “transform” an abandoned shop in the centre of Athens and make it viable again.
The programme embraces the approach of “urban acupuncture” and it forms part of the overall strategy of the City of Athens for a sustainable local development and resilience.
It’s a bottom-up procedure, which motivates active residents to intervene in the city and its urban environment not only by participating in the implementation of their proposals but also by caring for their sustainability.
Programme Polis² at a glance:
• Invites residents, professionals, legal entities and informal groups of citizens, whilst encourages collaborative procedures amongst them so that the interventions proposed will be reflecting their day to day basic needs along with their aspirations.
• Supports all the way through the development of citizens’ proposals with workshops and specialised curators who overlook specific thematic strands.
• Accepts and evaluates the proposals through an open invitation of interest process.
• Supports financially and advises upon the implementation of the chosen interventions that are “adopted,” protected and maintained by the local community.
• Aims to highlight city’s corners, to revive abandoned spots and to boost the use of public space in the neighborhoods.
• Encourages the collaboration of citizens with the City of Athens for the co-creation of the city’s identity.
The approach that advocates that mild and small-scale interventions can affect successfully city’s function and image while having a significant impact on the public realm.
Co-creation of the public space
The collaborative process that brings together residents, professionals, and experts under a new and more effective decision-making process regarding public space.
A medium of expression and communication that ensures the active presence and participation of civil society.
The methodology that is linked with the collaborative planning and sustainable development.