The City of Athens invites new and existing creative groups to acquire their “headquarters”, to experiment and present their products, in the heart of Athens, starting from a historic city square such as the Theatre Square.
The program will utilise the symbolic significance of the Theatre Square as a meeting, working and exchange place so that the square is the new reference point in Athens’ cultural life. In fact, with the support of the Municipality of Athens, a large, collective, open workshop is being created, where artists and creators can network and collaborate, contributing to the co-creation of the modern cultural identity of the city.
THE INITIATIVE AT THEATRE SQUARE AT A GLANCE:
- In this particular neighbourhood, the Municipality of Athens wants to promote the creative activity of artistic groups and curating teams who will set up multi-purpose creation and integration sites to act as catalysts for the area.
- Each shop will accommodate one or more businesses with co-location / co-operation. The choice will be made to encourage future collaborations / partnerships.
- The strand is addressed to natural legal entities as well as to associations of natural and legal entities.
- Operating time for every shop: 6 months, from July to December 2018.
- The beneficiaries will be able to create a new headquarters and sell products or offer services, but are not required to engage in any commercial activity.
- The beneficiaries will be able to use the store as a workplace or a manufacturing area for their products as well as for organising events or exhibitions as long as they comply with the intended use of the store.
- The beneficiaries will undertake the full operation of the shop during the approved opening hours.
- The shops will function as workshops that will promote cooperative processes, while the beneficiaries will also have to offer a program of workshops and events open to the public as a minimum offer to the community. In reality, this means that at least one workshop each monthis required and should be offered free of charge to the public.
THE FIRST STORES ON THE SQUARE THEATER – THEMATIC
MANUFACTURING AND INDUSTRIAL PRODUCT – CRAFTS & PRODUCT DESIGN / MAKERSPACE
Stores designed to host activities focusing on new entrepreneurship, craft and industrial products.
VISUAL ART – PROJECT SPACE
Stores that will host exclusively alternating cultural programs, such as contemporary art exhibitions of all applications of art, painting, engraving, photography, sculpture, etc.
MULTIFUNCTION OF ARTS AND MUSIC – PERFORMANCE SPACE
Stores that will serve as a venue for events, events, discussions, experimental music presentations, theatre acts etc