Open invitation for interventions in the streets in order to upgrade their identity and convert them to user-friendly areas
Aims of the strand:
• To transform the streets’ identity, from a passing by area to a place where things and activities happen.
• To redefine the function of the street.
• To encourage local teams to plan interventions in their small system of reference such as their street, that will meet the needs and the potential of their area.
• To revive deprived and abandoned streets, which create unattractive and unsafe spots in the city.
• To encourage citizens to “adopt” parts of the city and to strengthen their relationship with them.
• To improve the sense of safety and the accessibility of streets, while diminishing offensive behaviours.
• To activate human capital, local skills, and creativity.
The strand supports interventions such as:
• Street lighting
• Street shading systems
• Street signage